characterization of we do is new media, what distinguish it from other things?
New media- complicated as opposed to what? What is it? Is it the internet? Is it social media? Smart phones. GPS. Arduinos, dna computing (qualitative successes to use dna structure to process data), artificial intelligent, animation, Photoshop, digital photographic.
- all these things are a huge umbrella,
- problematic to see them as tools
- too limited to think about just simplistic ideas about productions media about tools.
- If that’s true every new technology is new
- Innovations making what you did before, the same, not necessarily new in any sense that matters or makes a difference
- In what sense to we mean new?
What does it represent vs what can it do?
Are comp really effecting the way we express our self and share ideas different or is it tool that does the same thing with what we did before in that sense.
Evolution of calculation.
Are the distguishing characteristics? (yes?)
Tools and process
Making sense out of it
- numerical representation
o a new media object is a numerical object, and because it’s a numerical object you can calculate on it. Analog objects are not numerical.
o Digital therefore you can calc but it’s composed out units in which each of those units can be calculated on. This is discreet, analog is not discreet
o You can digitize things, numerical process
o Control resolution
o More number in object get more resolved.(television screen)
o You can quantify numerical objects to see what they are composed
o They are subject to algorithmic (recipe executed numerical)
o You can process the algorithmic of the numerical numbers to make it behave different
o Digital vs analog
o simple, most distinguishing about new media from old media
o result of other 4 factor
o turning media into data that can be structured
o what a digitial image really is.? Pixel? No..
o they can be manipulated because its numerical and modular
o Create operations for creating new things where the object itself starts to create things
o Human remove entirely where the object creates it’s own object (generate and out that’s unpredictable.
o Software does it for you, so you don’t have to think about it.
o The beauty of the box is that you don’t have to understand it.
o You the artist can also automate the code the new media object to do things you want to automate (generate things that cant be generated)
o Still to emerge outcomes that otherwise can’t be created.
o Its not about making something new but reprocessing something that already exist.
o How do you find what you’re looking for, repurpose
New media is not fixed, they exist different in infinite ways. Like liquid. Infinite variation in appearance (website)
The data base is as important today as the photography was (when it started)
Cultural form of its own
The most of im software app ever invite for consumer is the excel spread sheet.
Controls the destiny of humanity of millions of people
The content that I hold is can manipulate the lives of many people
With the data base you can design many interface.
Transcode a media to one form to the next and you will understand how the box works.
What is visualization
- Any technique for creating images, diagrams, or animations to communicate a message
- Visualization through visual imagery has been an effective way to communicate
- Data visualization*
What is information visualization?
- Representing data in 3D images in order to navigate through it more quickly and access in a more nature manner.
- Coined by user interface research group at Xerox parc 1986
What is sonification?
- Data sonification is the representation of data using sound
- It is hardly three decades old
- Not in the OED or laurouse etc. (cannot find term in any dictionary yet)
Sonification Soundbox (ex)
More def of sonification
- Sonification, a form of au
Extended breakdown of sonification
- The sound reflects properties/relations of input data
- Son is the data dependent generation of sound, if the trandomriotn is systematic, object and reproducible as scientific method
- The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the man of words. If you can control trh meaning of words, you can control thr people who must use them Philip Dick
What is the relationship of the use of machines to represent data as seperates senses?
“the words of the world want to make sentences” Gaston Bachelard
- And the sounds of the world want to make music
Edgay Varese once gave a def of music as organized sound
Experience without theory is blind but theory without expis mere intellectual play- kant
- Our instinct is to integrate sound with representational data.
Mediated reality is still reality.
What is multimodal representation?
- Multimodal- characterized by several different modes of activity or occurrence
- Representation- something that represents as an image or likeness of something
Multimodal vs Multi Sensory (comes out for the CHAI community)
Thomas Edison and the first phonograph aug 12 1877
- The dissociation of sound and sight begins
- The break is based on the separation of technology not aesthetics.
- In psychopharmacology “disassociative” are a class of hallucinogen, which distort percetopn of sight and sound and produce feelings of detachment
- Disassociation is an act of disuniting separating a complex object into parts.
Poet John Payne 1893
- The hand of the storm-wind…
- Poetic vision of disassociation
Scribin’s Prometheus (Poem of fire) (1910)- integrating sound and light
The technology of the cinema has lead the way in the tech integration of senses.
Where is the scientific version of this sort of “synaesthetic” approach to multimodal representation?
- Pulls you into the reality.
What happens in the allosphere stays in the allosphere.
Leveraging the advances in cinematic technology to realize a new way of more universal and worldwide distribution multimodal rep of big data.
Concept for ste(a)m: sound part of data visualization
Stem: science technology mathematic (a) art.
Sonfication multi-modal representation instrument SMMRI @UT Dallas